Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Save the egg whites

Today was step two of the ice cream making process: making the custard, letting it cool and then putting it into the ice cream maker (where it is now, stay tuned for pictures tomorrow) You can find the recipe at http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/05/mint-chip-ice-cream-recipe-chocolate, among other ingredients it calls for 5 egg yolks. Which brought up an interesting topic between Kevin and I: if you can’t taste the ingredient, does it have to be local, organic, etc.? In terms of taste, we both agree that the eggs I bought at the farmer’s market are much better than what we’ve had in the past. However, it comes at a price: free-range eggs from a local farm cost twice as much as those in the grocery store that come from all across the country from chickens who are packed in hen houses like sardines and rarely if ever see daylight.

Kevin’s point is, if we’re just using the eggs as a thickening agent and can’t taste them, is it really necessary to spend more money? One could add: why go out of your way to find a farmer’s market when “Giant Supermarket USA” is right down the street and will sell all the same things plus fruits and vegetables that are out of season in your area for a cheaper price? While I understand this point or view (acutely as I am the one who typically buys the eggs), my choice to purchase eggs from a local farmer is about more than just taste (although that’s a major component). It’s about supporting local farming families who are trying to keep their farms and families afloat in a culture where low prices seem to be more important than taste, sustainability, or another’s well-being. I guess that’s why I’m doing this year-long challenge, to prove to myself that choosing to support local and sustainable business is feasible and also to begin to really appreciate fresh, ripe foods. In the end we both understand the other’s position and ultimately decided that the most important thing is not to waste anything. So, as you might have guessed, there are five egg whites chilling out in my fridge waiting to be made into a healthy fresh omelet tomorrow morning. Also, I just realized today that the greens attached to my farmer’s market turnips are turnip greens (it was a blonde moment, please forgive me). They were a little wilted, but I threw them in a pan with olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and they tasted pretty darn good.

Nothing will be wasted in this household.

No comments:

Post a Comment